Thursday, January 24, 2013

Aztaro Reviews: Windows 8

Hey-a people of the interwebs, the system of pipes, internets and what not. I'm here with another review and it's some what relevant!

Aztaro Reviews: Windows 8 [64 bit]

I was helping a family member get a holiday gift when what do you know a person I knew was working behind the counter. I got the family member the item and then talked to the clerk who was in a class with me in college. He was saying how Windows 8 PC's were flying off the shelves, he then showed me the discs. "Yeah those are cool but I don't think I need an upgrade yet". Who was I kidding I wanted it but being a good salesman and knowing I was a techie he worked his magic and next thing I knew I lost ~$80 and was wondering how they did it.

Story time over, I installed it, very easy and installs in what felt like less than 10 minutes, no joke, updates, drivers and all! I didn't have a touch screen monitor but it didn't matter, it was good with a mouse and still the same touch concepts really. I was quickly customizing and downloading programs being happy and enjoying it's amazing performance [only big word I'll use is RAM memory association, it's amazing how it can use so little for the OS]. I was fairly impressed even with the number of free apps and programs.

Personal Thoughts [skip if you don't care]: Now I was amazed by the speed and simplicity but the interface is extremely new and different, obviously meant for touch enabled PC's. Also another thing I noticed is it hated my graphics card as in I had to run it without drivers due to when they were [automatically installed, like almost every other driver], the HD tv I was using as monitor would not fit the screen. What I mean is the computer was "zooming in" and cutting off the edges of my screen, but uninstall of drivers fixed it. Another problem I ran into was not all programs are compatible, that's a given so not much to complain. After wasting some time reinstalling everything [programs, not drivers, those were automatic] I started up Steam and was about to enjoy some games when it instantly crashed. I tried another and same result, I was like "Seriously? come on". I was only able to get about 30% of my games to work and they weren't even the newer ones, they were older than 2010. This was a big no no on my half, in my frustration I just reinstalled 7 and waited for an update that will fix it [I head there will be one soon so that will fix my main issue].

Final Thought: Windows 8 is [when I last used it] a glitchy mess, but some can be over looked or dealt with. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying it needs some time and updates before a try, I enjoyed navigating the apps and pages, it was a neat experience when I got use to it. All I'm saying is if it gets fixed the "Windows Theory" [every other OS is bad is the bottom line of it] maybe put to rest here, it just needs it's glitches and some software problems dealt with.

I know this is old and it's been out but I been busy or to tired/sick to post, YAY PROCRASTINATION!

No comments:

Post a Comment